Helplines and services available
Yesterday, Andy Burnham, and the new Partnership Chair, Sir Richard Leese announced a new programme of digital services and online support for mental health in response to the COVID-19 outbreak. Mental health services are facing new challenges and coming under additional pressure as they try to support those already accessing services and deal with new cases, whilst managing the impact of COVID on their staffing levels. This new package of support aims to help people to stay well, reducing the need for them to attend GP practices or hospitals. As part of this, the Silver Cloud digital mental health platform is now available to all Greater Manchester residents for free. Silver Cloud offers a number of online programmes to help ease stress levels, improve sleep or build resilience. Each programme uses proven methods, including cognitive behavioural therapy, and all information entered is anonymous, confidential and secure. To find out more and sign up to use Silver Cloud, go to https://GM.silvercloudhealth.com/signup.
- Free, safe and anonymous online support for young people
- Monday – Friday 12pm – 10pm
- Saturday – Sunday 6pm – 10pm
- If you're under 19 you can confidentially call, email, or chat online about any problem big or small
Freephone 24h helpline: 0800 1111
- Sign up for a childline account on the website to be able to message a counsellor anytime without using your email address
- Chat 1:1 with an online advisor
- If you're under 25 you can talk to The Mix for free on the phone, by email or on their webchat. You can also use their phone counselling service, or get more information on support services you might need.
- Freephone: 0808 808 4994 (13:00-23:00 daily)
YoungMinds Crisis Messenger
- Provides free, 24/7 crisis support across the UK if you are experiencing a mental health crisis
- If you need urgent help text YM to 85258
- All texts are answered by trained volunteers, with support from experienced clinical supervisors
- Texts are free from EE, O2, Vodafone, 3, Virgin Mobile, BT Mobile, GiffGaff, Tesco Mobile and Telecom Plus.
- If you're in distress and need support, you can ring Samaritans for free at any time of the day or night.
- Freephone (UK and Republic of Ireland): 116 123 (24 hours)
- Email: email@example.com
If you are having thoughts of suicide or are concerned for a young person who might be you can contact HOPELINEUK for confidential support and practical advice.
Call: 0800 068 4141 Text: 07786209697 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Opening hours: 9am – 10pm weekdays, 2pm – 10pm weekends, 2pm – 10pm bank holidaysOur Suicide Prevention Advisers are ready to support you.
Young Minds Parents Helpline Call us for free Mon-Fri from 9.30am to 4pm – available in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. 0808 802 5544